Rustic Bean Stew
This recipe, adapted from Sara Buenfeld on BBC Goodfood, can be eaten as either a side dish or a meal in its own right! It includes all 5 of your 5 a day and around 26g of protein per portion. Serves 1-2.
- 2 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 1 Large Onion
- 170g Carrots (small chunks)
- 5 Cloves of Garlic (half finely sliced and half crushed)
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Red Pepper (deseeded and chopped into chunks)
- 1/2 Tsp Veggie Stock, made up with 250ml boiling water
- 2 Rosemary Sprigs
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 150g Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Tsp Tomato Puree
- 610g Butter Beans, drained
- 240g Plain Yoghurt of choice
- 160g Baby Spinach
1) Fry the onion, carrot and sliced garlic in the oil for around 10 minutes until it starts to caramelise. Pour in the vinegar then, whilst it sizzles, add the pepper, stock, herbs and spices, tomatoes and beans.
2) Mix together the crushed garlic and yogurt.
3) Stir the spinach in with the bean stew and allow to wilt. Serve with a dollop of the garlic yogurt and a carb of choice (it goes especially well with garlic bread or rice), then enjoy!