Tomato, Courgette and Aubergine Gratin
This recipe would be a perfect side dish to almost any meal! There are no specific quantities for most of the ingredients in this recipe: the amount of breadcrumbs you need depends on the number and size of veggies that you use. Feel free to vary the quantities according to your own taste, and to use other seasonal vegetables as well!
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 aubergine
- 4 courgettes
- 200g breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 75g grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1) Rinse the vegetables, chop off the edges and then cut all of them into 1-2cm thick slices - slice the courgettes lengthwise. If the variety of tomatoes you are using is very watery, remove some of the seeds and insides. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the vegetable slices on it.
2) For the gratin, chop your garlic cloves and parsley finely. In a bowl, mix them with the breadcrumbs, oregano and cheese. Add salt and alternate between adding olive oil and water until the mixture feels almost doughy.
3) Use a knife to gently score the surface of the vegetable slices and brush them with some olive oil, then sprinkle with salt.
4) Helping yourself with a spoon, cover the vegetable slices with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it to make it adhere to the slices.
5) Place the baking tray in the oven at 180°C for around 20 minutes, using the grill for the last 5 minutes to make the breadcrumb layer crisp and golden brown. Use a fork to test if the vegetables are ready: if it slides in easily, the gratin is ready. Take out from the oven and enjoy!